Add

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Engine  (Read 8074 times)
Hacktank
Site/Server Owner
Administrator
Vortex

Demoncoder

jakethedungeonmaster@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »

Hello guys, ive been working on a game engine. It is written in C++, just about everything is done from scratch, from image loading to input. Eventually it will be used to make a game; but what im releasing here is my testing project that showcases/benchmarks its features.

Controls:
arrows: move the camera around
mouse move: makes the entities follow
z: add more entities
x: delete an entity (do not delete the last one or youll crash it, too lazy to add a check to make sure that doesnt happen Tongue)
various keys near j,k, and l: messes with the master rotation of the scene

As an endgame i am hoping to have a game like soldat, but with a much better weapon system and less bugs... Hey, we can all dream, cant we?

DarkCrusade
Global Moderator
Vortex

Burn, baby burn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:21:53 AM »

Is that gray screen with some weird arrows and stuff intended? I have like 3 FPS, is your engine that heavy? Running Windows Vista.

Hacktank
Site/Server Owner
Administrator
Vortex

Demoncoder

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:15 AM »

3 FPS? Its capped at 500 fps and reaches that easily on my desktop. It must be something to do with Vista, ill work on it more tommarow, ill post a screenshot aswel.

loquillo
Turncoat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »

What's that about?
I'm not a game developer that's why I ask!

Hacktank
Site/Server Owner
Administrator
Vortex

Demoncoder

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »

Well, at this point, it just shows what the engine can do. The main thing i need to do before I can actually start the game is make a physics engine. This is mind bogglingly complicated because i refuse to use a premade physics engine.

I have not multi-threaded the game loop yet, so that will largely increase the performance. Also, it runs fine on my vista pc, whats your graphics card?

Here are two screens. (fps is low due to screencap software)

Faesin
Global Moderator
Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 07:07:59 PM »

Hacktank is the next Notch  Shocked

DorkeyDear
Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:43:21 PM »

Less of an engine comment, but figured I would post anyways: when changing the windows size via dragging the bottom right, when making the window larger it seems to go very slow but when making the window size smaller it seems to behave as it should.

Uhm, in addition, I just noticed only sometimes the cursor gets stuck inside the window (O.o) (not the draw window; the whole thing).

Other than that, not much else to comment on. Looks like it shall have a bright future (hopefully) in your projects.

Hacktank
Site/Server Owner
Administrator
Vortex

Demoncoder

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »

Window sizing works fine for me, i dont know what the deal is for you. And your mouse is supposed to be locked inside the window, thats a feature. I guess it works more to freak ppl out tho. Heh.

Thanks for the encouragement. My project has lost momentum due to the brick wall of physics code and the realization of how badly i coded core parts of the engine. Hell this is the second incarnation of this engine. It was scrapped and restarted once already, hopefully the third times the charm.

DorkeyDear
Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »

It does look interesting and I do hope to see something with it in the future (although tbh I don't think the "Soldat clone" would be a good idea).

I'm on windows 7 if that takes any part in reason why resizing acts funny / mouse only sometimes stuck on inside (i think if mouse starts inside window when it opens, but not sure).

GL, and try to have fun with it too Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal