Add

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prime/trigger mechanism for skills  (Read 6185 times)
Surgeon
Zombie

View Profile Email
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:04:53 PM »

Hey all, just something I was thinking of while looking at some of the skills. Atm some skills (e.g. warp, wave) require you to hotkey them to your taunts if you really want them to be effective, since typing usually takes too long. Problem is, if this isn't the only modded server you're playing then you might already have half your taunts hotkeyed to different commands, and the rest hotkeyed to "efc high/mid/low". So, I was wondering if it's possible to make using offensive skills a little easier.

Basically, typing the skill like /wave or /warp will prime the skill but not immediately use it. Instead, the skill waits until you press a certain key (e.g. grenade throwing key) to trigger it, and only then will it activate. This means that you can prime the skill before you dive into a zombie-infested hole and then easily unleash it at the press of a button. Alternately, all skill releases can be tied to a /release command, so you only need to hotkey /release to effectively use the skills.

Given I've never actually modded Soldat, I don't know if this is possible, but here goes nothing  Roll Eyes

Hacktank
Site/Server Owner
Administrator
Vortex

Demoncoder

jakethedungeonmaster@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »

I like the idea of priming and using another key to actually use the skill. And the ability to do this will be added in the soldat update that should be coming soon.

loquillo
Turncoat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:46:09 PM »

mmm, didn't understand.

I'm think taunt are very easy to use, and can be setted easily with taunt editor.

Chraster
Global Moderator
Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:12 AM »

Register your copy of soldat, http://soldat.thd.vg/en/page/register
So you can create different profiles with different taunts..

Random Task
Global Moderator
Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:35:04 AM »

Hello Surgeon  Grin

in my opinion I don't think that it would be a very good idea if you have to ready the skill first since it would take away the versatility of the system we have now.

I mean if you ready a skill like "wave" and suddenly the situation changes and you would like to cast "warp" you are pretty much stuck with a wrong choice.

Well you could make more than 1 command to activate the skills like for example in Hexer where you have /heal, /def /ofs and /summon or alternatively /cc1, /cc2, /cc3 or /cc4 but you would still be limited to only 4 skills you could "prime".

So in my opinion it would be better if the system we have now would stay.

If you have problems with too many taunts for your keys you may also want follow the advice of Chraster and get a registration key for soldat to handle multiple profiles (see how I only said "get" and not "buy" >_> ).

Or if you don't want to register your copy of Soldat you can make a copy of the "taunts.txt" file in your Soldat folder and fill in your taunts for our server (you could also make copies for the other servers you play on and need special taunts as well) and name the file to something like "taunts htzrpg.txt" and whenever you want to play in this server you could rename the normal "taunts.txt" to something like "taunts backup.txt" and then rename the "taunts htzrpg.txt" to "taunts.txt".
So you could easily change your profiles without registering your Soldat copy (I did this also before i "got" my registry key :p).

tl;dr?  NO!

Edit:

And the ability to do this will be added in the soldat update that should be coming soon.

Hacktank you are just an hopeless optimist.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:05:44 AM by Random Task » Logged

Elefaent
Zombie

I Eat Zombies

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 05:51:03 AM »

(I did this also before i "got" my registry key :p).

Sean Davies?

Wer das liest ist doof.

DarkCrusade
Global Moderator
Vortex

Burn, baby burn

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »

I agree with Random Task to 100%. This is something as unnecessary as vehicles in Soldat.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal